Blood Cells Pictures

What are Blood Cells?

Blood cells, or Hematocytes, are cells which belong to any type which are found in the blood. They can be categorized under three general classes, namely, red blood cells or the eryrthrocytes, white blood cells or the leukocytes and finally, the platelets or the thrombocytes. Collectively, these blood components are approximately 45% of the blood tissue, and the remaining 55% of the volume comprises the plasma.


The erythrocytes, much more commonly known as the red blood cells are non-nucleated, biconcave disc-shaped blood cells primarily responsible in transporting oxygen and carbon dioxide via the utilization of hemoglobin. These cells live up to 120 days. Males have 5 to 6 million erythrocytes per cubic millimeter of blood, while females have about 4 to 5 million. If the number is considerably increased, polycythemia may be the culprit. If the count is low, the individual may suffer anemia.

The leukocytes or the white corpuscles are integral elements of the intrinsic immune system which live up to a few years.

The third classification is the platelet. These cells, also known as thrombocytes, are involved in blood coagulation and last for only nine days. Normally, one cubic millimeter of blood holds about 250,000 to 500,000 of these cells. If there is an above normal count, spontaneous clotting may arise but if the number is abnormally low, then clotting process is impaired when necessary.

Pictures of Blood Cells

Photos, Images and Pictures of Blood cells…

No Comments yet

Leave a Reply

Related Medical Pictures

More Medical Pictures